Kuito FPSO – Decommissioning
Location: Offshore Angola
MI Swaco / Chevron
NRC were initially contracted to carry out essential tank cleaning on board the Kuito FPSO offshore Angola, as part of a phased decommissioning project.
Scope of Work
The scope then extended to NORM descaling of contaminated oil process equipment, spools and pipework using water jetting techniques, tank cleaning using confined space entry and cold cutting.
- Timeline – critical path project
- Project management, resourcing, planning and scheduling
- Conflicting activities
- Hazardous waste – removal of hydrocarbons, NORM, oil and hazardous chemicals
- Working at height and confined space working
Restrictions / Considerations
- Hazardous environment
- Security restrictions, ongoing visa complications
- Co-ordinating and scheduling of works to meet the requirements of the overall programme
- Removed approximately 560 tonnes of crude oil from 11 x Cargo Oil Tanks and approximately 27 tonnes of hydrocarbon waste from 6 x Topside Vessels
- Over 14,000 NRC man-hours worked with zero LTIs
- Project completed in a controlled and professional manner without safety or environmental incident
- Commendations received from the client
- Involved NRC personnel providing project management and supervision and engineers alongside local employees
- Project duration: 9 months
The success of this project has led to the awarding of similar projects on board the Azurite FDPSO in Congo.