UK Dounreay Nuclear Power Station
Location: Dounreay Nuclear Power Facility, UK
As part of a planned outage, Alstom, principal engineering contractor, commissioned NRC to complete the works associated with the cleaning of the steam turbine oil system pipework. Provide manpower and equipment for the completion of the following scope of work associated with the steam turbine oil system pipework, ranging in sizes from 2″ – 14″ diameter, located in unit 7;
- Pre Cleaning Camera Inspection / Survey of the complete system.
- Removal and safe disposal of all residues from the system.
- Cleaning of the pipework using high pressure water jetting applications.
- Post Cleaning Camera Inspection / Survey of the complete system.
- Design, complexity and configuration of the system.
- Hazardous Environment – Confined Space Entry Working, access and egress.
- Waste containment and transfer.
- Critical Path Project – 5 weeks.
- Integrated working plan to account for other activities in the area.
The design, complexity and configuration of the system provided engineering challenges. Accordingly, an appropriate method of work encompassing isolation of the system and the removal of some sections, spools and valves etc. was identified. This afforded better access and allowed the system to be broken down into “mini” systems ensuring that acceptable levels of cleanliness were achieved. The lay-out of the system provided the requirement for certain aspect of the project to be undertaken under confined space entry working conditions.
In addition to completing the cleaning and camera inspection / survey work scope, personnel also assisted with Alstom in the re-commissioning of the system.